Having involuntary head movements. History of tonsillitis operation. How to get relief?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi doctor ,
My name is XXXXXXX im 24 years old , i have a bad involuntary head movements when ever i am little tense also , i am losing my confidence because of this , please help me . I had my tonsillitis operation done when i was 19 years , from then on im facing this problem , not before that.
Posted Sat, 2 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
You seem to be suffering from involuntary movements either dystonias or myoclonus less likely a seizure .
Considering the information you provided the probable causes for such movements could be either psychogenic ie. anxiety and stress related or as a reaction to anesthesia given for tonsilectomy .
There are very rare cases reported where such involuntary movements , seizures or other neurological problems have resulted in some patients undergoing short term anaesthesia for day care surgeries like tonsilectomy or orthopedic surgeries .
For the exact diagnosis you should get a thorough neurological examination required by a neurologist and if required investigations like CT/MRI. Scan of brain, Electroencephalography (EEG) etc.
Also a detailed clinical history and examination by the doctor can rule out any anxiety or stress related events and help you out in finding an appropriate treatment based on the cause.
Please do not lose your self esteem as you are not to be blamed for such a problem which can occur to anyone and is beyond prevention by doctors as only 1% of those undergoing anaesthesia may or may not experience such effects .
I appreciate your efforts as a health conscious individual. You should seek prompt medical help for such involuntary tics or jerks as early intervention and treatment can be beneficial.
So do not hesitate and consult a neurologist as soon as feasible.
Hope I have answered your query.