Having hangover with diarrhea. Having cramps and fever. Diagnosed salmonella from the barbecue and prescribed Cipro. Suggest

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
On Saturday night I went to a barbecue and has a lot to drink.

On Sunday I thought I had a hangover with diarrhoea but the symptoms were really bad . I had cramps , a fever of 103 and complete exhaustion .

Today the doc says I have salmonella from the barbecue and has prescribed Cipro .

How does he know I have this ?

The diarrea is very very bad and yellow in colour . I am going every 30 mins at least . What do I do ??

Could I have pancreatitis instead ?

Is salmonella serious?
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.

Furst,this is not serius. It will cause unpleasant symptms such as cramos and often diarrheas but it usually lasts for 5-10 days and leave no consquances. There are some salminela types which can cause blood in stool and some more serious symptoms but this is rare.
Salmonela can be diagnosed by stool analysis but your doctor probably diagnosed it by typical manifestation. It usually begins 24 hours after posioned meal and starts with cramps,fever and diarrheas. Of course, it can be viral enterocolitis too,but it sounds like bacterial. There are recommendations that antibiotics may or may not be used depending on severity of the disease. The most importatnt thing is to prevent dehydration so you must drink lot of fluid, no matter you have diarrheas or vomiting. If you cant drink enough you might need intravenous fluid compensation.
Pancreatitis would manifest with pain in upper left abdomen and back. YOu would have nausea and vomiting.
All in all, it sounds like enterocolitis and you just need to be patient for several days untill antibiotics start working. Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards
Follow-up: Having hangover with diarrhea. Having cramps and fever. Diagnosed salmonella from the barbecue and prescribed Cipro. Suggest 10 minutes later
Thank you for this . I have noticed that everytime I drink a lot of alcohol , I have bad bouts of diarrea .

Could this be pancreatitis?

Am I right in saying that the main symptom of pancreatitis is severe pain ?

The diarrea I have is so awful . It is now green in colour . I can't hold anything down . When should this go and is the colour significant ?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 16 minutes later
yes, it can be pancreatiits, but diarrhea isnt usually the first sign of it.
The pain is severe but it is located in upper left abdomen and back. Also, pancreatitis can be ruled out by amilase and lipase levels. So you should do these blood tests. You also need to check your liver functional tests and galbladder and pancreatic ultrasound.
Stool color is significant for infectious diarrheas but it can also indicate disorder in absorption of fats which can be seen if there is liver and gallbadder problem.
I also think this is infectious bacterial colitis and you just need to be patient,finish antibiotic course and drink plenty of fluids. Regards