Having gastric problem. Feeling nauseated, gagging and low fever. Having diarrhoea. What's going on?

Hi, I am having some gastric issues. On Saturday I woke up extremely nauseated and gagging, but not vomiting. I also had a low grade fever for 24 hours. Sunday I started having diarrhea. I have it every morning. I am trying to only eat bland foods and follow the BRAT diet. I have only been eating real foods like rice and toast since Monday evening. Every time I eat I swell up with gas and look like a pregnant person and it is so painful. What is going on with me? I want to eat food so badly! I went to an urgent care facility today as well, and I got no recommendations.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

You have history of low-grade fever, nausea followed by diarrhea since Saturday and is continuing till today. It has been 5 days.

From the history, it looks like infective diarrhea started with gastritis.

As you swell up after eating, it indicates you have indigestion for which Cap. Omez 20 mg two times a day before food can be taken. It is mostly available over the counter in US.

You can take Tab. Imodium available over the counter for diarrhea- 1 tablet 2times a day is enough.

Take probiotic like sporolac XXXXXXX after mixing it with water.

Take care of dehydration with oral rehydration solutions like XXXXXXX rebalanze/electral powder.

If frequency and severity of diarrhea and other symptoms do not come down in 24 hrs; consult physician as you may need anti-microbial drugs like norfloxacin-tinidazole or ciprofloxacin to control infection.

Drink lot of fluids to prevent dehydration.

Have non-spicy food for 3-4 days.

Continue medicines for 1 day, if severity does not come down consult physician to get anti-microbial prescribed.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.