Having fever, diarrhea with blood and mucus. Is this flu?

Hello, and thank you in advance for your advice. I'm pretty sure I have the flu. I have had a fever for two days and spent all day yesterday in bed. I couldn't put a sentence together. I also lost control of my bowels a number of times. It was very watery diarrhea. Today I am better, but still having bowel problems. That is to say that it feels like I have to go, but it is a foamy mucus with bright blood. This has happened 4-5 times. Could this just be irritation from the previous diarrhea? I feel better - I can at least think - but am a little worried about the bloody mucus. I am female, 57, no health issues except 25 mg simvastatin which I've been on for about 6 mo.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 19 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Madam you are suffering from dysentery.
You will need an antibiotic (Ciprofloxacin+metronidazole) combination twice daily for 7 days. You may also need antispasmodics for abdominal pain.
Do avoid milk,fruit juice and wheat products for the time being.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.