Having fatigue and increased thirst. Is this normal?

Lately I have been really fatigued, increased thirst, and my favorite foods (especially meats) have not appealed to me. Is this normal?
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to us.

With a history of gall bladder removal surgery done 3 months back, the abdominal pain and discomfort must be evaluated keeping your surgery in mind.

Bloating is reported in some patients for a few days after cholecystectomy (gall bladder surgery), with some amount of discomfort radiating to shoulders at times. This is normal and can be relieved with mild exercise, like walking. Constipation and nausea are also seen in the first few days.If you have had diarrhea that lasts for a few days, or even weeks after your surgery, that is also normal.

As it is over three months, a general lack of appetite is a frequently reported symptom following gallbladder surgery.

However, if the pain is too much and intolerable, affecting your daily activities, there is a need to consult your doctor.

Hope your queries are answered.
Should there be any further queries, please feel free to write back.

Wishing you good health

Dr A Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Having fatigue and increased thirst. Is this normal? 1 hour later
I am following up with the abdominal pain, so far it's being thrown into the IBS category. I've had that for 9 years, just more frequent (1-3 times per day) post surgery. It was the newer symptoms, with the meats grossing me out, and constantly being thirsty. Do you think it all goes hand in hand?
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 49 minutes later
Thanks for writing back with an update.

I would like to bring it to your knowledge that rarely, in few patients following cholecystectomy (gallbladder surgery), there can be dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance due to diarrhea. This might manifest as constant thirst or leg cramps symptomatically. Also you have said about your 9 years history of IBS and increased bowel movements after surgery. In this way your symptoms might be going hand in hand and are explainable.

Hope your queries are answered.

Wishing you good health

Dr A Rao Kavoor