Having facial twitching. Should I be worried?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi Doctor,
I am having facial twitching on my left side of face over the last 4 days. It never happened me before. It happens for couple of seconds couple of times in an hour. I can see my face twitching in mirror. Is it something to worry about.
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
You seem to be experiencing recurring facial tics .Facial tics are sudden spasms of the muscles that control the mouth, eyes, nose, or cheeks. Tics are prevalent with many larger neurological disorders, such as Tourette syndrome, though they may also occur in absence of a clear neurological trigger. It is well documented that tics are likely to become more frequent and noticeable in stressful, anxiety-inducing situations.
Idiopathic facial tics usually do not require medical treatment. A doctor may be able to provide tips about stress management
In fact, the anxiety produced by worrying about facial tics can lead to increased
frequency of spasms, perpetuating both physical symptoms and mental anguish.
Prescription muscle relaxing drugs may be prescribed to help people who experience frequent, disabling tics. Patients who show signs of neurological problems may need to be placed on anti-psychotic or anti-seizure medication regimens.

So in your case assuming you have no significant medical history or neurological problem in the past the most common cause of this could be stress. If the problem persists despite stress management and is interfering with your daily living then its advisable to get yourself evaluated by a neurologist who after physical examination and tests if needed ( MRI brain etc) confirm the cause of the tics and start appropriate management .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.