Having elevated SGPT, SGOT and cholesterol. Drink alcohol. How to reduce by diet and medication?

Question
I HAVE SGPT 97 AND SGOT 51 TRYGLYCERIDE 262 CHOLESTROL 229 KINDLY LET ME KNOW HOW TO REDUCE BY DIET AND NATURAL WAYS ALSO IF SOME MEDICATION IS NECESSARY I TAKE ALCOHOL TWICE A WEEK SHALL I QUIT DRINKING
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 24 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for asking.

Your cholesterol and triglyceride levels are on the higher side, usually if a person is not having diabetes and ischemic heart disease, the total cholesterol below 200 is desirable, similarly the triglyceride levels below 200 is required to prevent the future complications.

Your liver enzymes are also raised, and the alcohol consumption can be the cause of raised liver enzymes.

To reduce the cholesterol you need to change the basic lifestyle, like avoiding saturated fat intake and regular walks and exercise.

Alcohol in moderation that is upto 6 standard drinks a week, and not more than 2 standard drinks a day, does not Perse has the bad effect on the cholesterol and triglycerides.

In diet, there is no magic or wonder substance, which you can take to reduce the cholesterol levels it, is the overall dietary improvements like eating a lot of green vegetables and fruits, avoiding red meats and fried stuff, not smoking, and most importantly sticking to a good diet plan for some time to get any sort of benefit.

I do not think so you need any medications for this, you can try dietary modifications along with increasing the physical activity, and redo the levels in 6-8 weeks, if still there is no improvement, drugs can be considered.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Follow-up: Having elevated SGPT, SGOT and cholesterol. Drink alcohol. How to reduce by diet and medication? 22 minutes later
can my levels of sgpt,sgot,triglycerides ,cholestrol be reduced by not taking any medicines i walk 4-5 kms daily should i increase can i go out for dinner out once a week is there XXXXXXX thing to worry for me regarding these reports please reply thanks

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 36 minutes later
Hi

Yes, certainly if you follow the above mentioned dietary modifications along with exercise, it can reduce the level of cholesterol and triglycerides without the medications.

Of course, if the levels are not improving in 6-8 weeks, then the medication can be given.

You can certainly have one day out for dinner , as long as you do not take too much of saturated fat or alcohol .

For reducing your liver enzymes, you need to stop alcohol for at least 6-8 weeks and then redo the tests .

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need more clarifications.