Having dry and chapped lips. Applying moisturizer and coconut oil. Due to weather change, dehydration or something serious?

Dermatologist
Question

For past 10 days my lips have become very dry and there are lot of cracks and fissures. There has been scaling on my lips especially the lower lip. I am applying moiturizer, petroleum jelly and coconut oil regularly but can not see it getting better. Is this indication of something serious or just weather change and dehydration can cause it? I am worried.

my lips have become dark and they always are dry and very irritating. Who ever meets me known or unknown, asks me whats up with my lips, others think that I smoke a lot. Sometimes the lips become itchy and swells at the edge. I had stopped taking my thyroid medication month back without consulting any doc, can this be because of this? I got my blood test done and my trygliceride levels were on hgher side as was cholestrol. I am taking B complex and Vit E supplements for past 10 days. Is this something bad?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 19 minutes later
Hello thanks for the query.
Dry lips are quiet common in winter.

The important thing is that you are hypothyroid.

Dry lips and skin are one of the most important associations of hypothyroidsm.

Continue to apply the petroleum jelly.

If it is severe, you can use a topical steroid like triamcinolone oral cream.

Get your thyroid levels checked now to see if they are normal.

Just to know whether there is any derangement in the levels.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thank you

Follow-up: Having dry and chapped lips. Applying moisturizer and coconut oil. Due to weather change, dehydration or something serious? 48 minutes later
Thanks doc. But why is the darkening of lips? and what about itchiness and swelling ? I have started taking Thyronorm again, my T3 T4 and TSH levels are normal. Only cholestrol and triglycerides are at a higher end.

All I am most interested right now is to know that this is not something serious, like some kind of cancer or something because now its almost a month I am stuck with this lip condition. Once it had gone so dry that blood spurted out from cracks, but that was for a day only... now its just dry and sometimes itch and swell and is dark in color.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.
I can assure you that its not a cancer.
Cancer presents in the form of ulcer and is quiet well defined initially, involving only a part of the lip.

Regarding itch, lip is highly sensative structure with lot of nerve supply.
Any damage to the skin of lip can initiate an itch.
It is very non specific, so dont worry about that.
Similarly lips are highly vascular so any damage leads to accumulation of blood which makes it appear dark.
Hope I clarified your doubts.
Feel free to ask any other doubts.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Having dry and chapped lips. Applying moisturizer and coconut oil. Due to weather change, dehydration or something serious? 2 hours later
Thats a huge relief. I just want to have this lip condition cured ASAP. You did help a lot doc. Thanks much!!

Hello XXXXXXX

You are most welcome.

Do not worry at all, soon your lips will be totally fine.

Wishing you a good health.