Having constipated bowel movements and noticed blood in it. What are the complications?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013
Excellent

Question
My bowels have been seriously obstructed lately coming out like shoe string. I've had a colonscopy within 5 years, and also a small bowel follow through. When pushing on my stomach something feels semi hard in to the left of my belly button. i have also passed blood once but it hasn't happened again two months later. what should i do?
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
1) Kindly answer the following detail:
a) Is there any pain/ burning sensation at anal site?
b) Are you suffering from constipation since long time?
c) What was your colonoscopy report?
d) Have you undergone any blood test/ Imaging study previously?
2) Semi hard feeling around stomach may be due to fecoliths. Passage of hard stool through anus may cause bleeding.
3) Impaction of fecolith may also cause local ulcer in intestine and may cause bleeding.
You should go for x XXXXXXX abdomen for fecoliths, urine for porphyrins, thyroid function test, serum calcium and repeat colonoscopy.
You should also consult with physician/ gastro-physician.
Let me know your query.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having constipated bowel movements and noticed blood in it. What are the complications? 25 minutes later
a) Is there any pain/ burning sensation at anal site? Not really any pain
b) Are you suffering from constipation since long time? I seem to get hit with constipation halfway through going to the bathroom. Its like I feel like I have to keep going but it doesnt want to come out easily at all.
c) What was your colonoscopy report? I believe i had some polyps tested and was ruled all clear
d) Have you undergone any blood test/ Imaging study previously? I had a barium follow through of my small bowel, but that was also back in 2007.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 15 minutes later
So you are suffering from constipation and you should go for above advised investigations.
You should also go for repeat colonoscopy.
Put your query if you have.
Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava