Having chronic pain with knee buckling, swelling, grinding,and catching. Took tramadol, oxycodone, ibuprofen and endocin. Meniscus tear shown in Murray's test. What is the cause for pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have chronic pain for the past two years with knee buckling, swelling, grinding, popping, catching on a daily basis with severe pain. Been to traditional physical therapy and aquatic therapy, had MRI which is unclear, x-ray clean. Took medications tramadol, oxycodone, ibuprofen, naproxen, and endocin. RA has been ruled out. Physical therapist performed Murray's test and said sounds like meniscus tear and possible acl as well. I just would like some solutions what could be causing my pain since I can't put any weight on it.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 minutes later

Your symptoms points toward some XXXXXXX derangement to knee. If Mc Murray's test is positive it indicates meniscal tear.
MRI of knee generally gives a clear picture of where a tear is and how serious it is.
Treatment of meniscal tear will depend on the type of tear you have, its size, and location.So I suggest you get yourself examined by an orthopaedic surgeon and get a repeat MRI to fix the problem causing pain.

Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health. Take care.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Having chronic pain with knee buckling, swelling, grinding,and catching. Took tramadol, oxycodone, ibuprofen and endocin. Meniscus tear shown in Murray's test. What is the cause for pain? 2 hours later
I have already been to ortho and claims it isn't an ortho issue even though the MRI came back questionable which could be a tear. Now they are telling me to go to rheumatology which I think is a waste of time. Are you saying I should get a contrast MRI of my knee now?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Meniscal tear are generally evident on normal MRI and there is no need for contrast MRI.
There is feature to upload the reports and prescription.If you wish you can utilize that, so that I can help you in better ways.

Regards.