Having burning pain on the side of knee. Experiencing buckling of knee daily, snapping and popping. Suggest the treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Can you tell me what does a sharp burning pain on the side of knee indicate? Also, what does a total locking of knee indicate as well? I have been having chronic knee pain accompanied by buckling of my knee daily, snapping, popping, grinding. I have even been on all the traditional types of treatment and nothing has worked please help. Also, what would the ER do if I went there for sever knee pain?
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Your symptoms could be a part of meniscal tear(menesci are cushion like structure between articular surface of femur and tibia bone).

If you have a tear, you will usually feel a sharp pain along the joint line in the area of your tear (usually the inside or outer part of the knee).

Normally knee locks in extension and process of unlocking occurs by external rotation of leg and knee flexion. Total locking occurs when the fragment of torn meniscus being lodged between your femur and tibia resulting in an inability to straighten or bend your knee.

As conservative treatment does not resolve your symptoms and you have locked knee, surgical intervention might be required.

In ER you may get an xray and your doctor may give you injectable/oral pain killer to relive the severe knee pain.
I suggest you to go for MRI knee and consult an orthopaedician for proper examination and appropriate treatment plan according to that.

Hope this will helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wish you good health. Take care.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.