Having bump at the edge of the heel. Blister white on top an darker base. Bleeding. Cauterized to stop bleeding. Guide?

my husband had a lump on the medial edge of his heel, (there was no injury to that sight that he is aware of)it looked like a large pea sized bood blister it was whitish in color on the top and darker at the base. when the top part tore off it started bleeding profusely and he went to the ER and they has to cauderized it to stop the bleeding however they did not know what it was and the er doc said he never saw anything like it. A week later it came back same spot and he bumped it and the top tore off and it started to bleeding profusely again and he is back at the ER to get the bleeding stopped again What the heck is this?
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Dear Madam,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I can see that you are having a bleeding ulcer at the medial malleolus . There can be many reasons for it but it will be very difficult to point out the exact cause without examining and actually looking at it but we can discuss the possibilities .

Venous ulceration is often recurrent and one of the most common cause of ulceration in lower limbs .It may have this kind of presentation . Medial malleolus is the most common site for that. Older age, obesity, previous leg injuries are all risk factors for its development .So there is a very likely possibility for this. Next it could be a recurrent abscess probably infective that is recurring .

I would suggest you to go to a general surgeon who can examine the area , the margins etc to ascertain the cause . Diabetes also needs to be ruled out . Kindly see a specialist as soon as possible for determining the cause so that appropriate treatment could be started and further complications can be prevented.

Dr. Shruti