Having breathing difficulty and pain on side of chest and ribs after drinking heavily. What to do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a heavy drinking session on Friday night, and now have severe pain in my right side. It's under and around the side of my body and ribs and feels like a heavy 'lump' of pain. It's constant and the sides of my body are painful to touch. It's hard to breathe as the pain is constant. I have had this previously but not as painful.
I've also had a bad cough which may be as a result of a nasal drip. Putting on weight too.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Pain on the right side of the chest is common and often caused by a strained muscle. Hard cough can strain muscle.
It can also due to gall bladder inflammation or due to lung issue.

To allow me to help you better, please let me know if you also have any of the following complaints:

- Pain in the back between the shoulder blades
- Pain under the right shoulder
- Abdominal bloating
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Recurring intolerance of fatty foods
- Belching
- Gas and indigestion.

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

Waiting your reply...