Having boil on thigh. And a red patch on genitals. Currently breastfeeding. Antibiotics?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
I have a boil on my thigh since 4 days. Initially it was a big red patch with a pussy pimple in between. I was hoping that when the pimple bursts all the puss would come out. However the yellow pimple has disappeared and the boil has dried with a dry blood like thing in between and the surrounding area is big red patch and paining badly. I am breastfeeding my 8 month old daughter hence was against consulting a doctor who would give antibiotics.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and local antibiotic is required to treat it.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The boil is due to bacterial infection of hair follicle.

And there is surrounding skin infection which is known as local cellulitis.

A course of an oral antibiotic is required to control the infection and to treat it.

Oral antibiotics such as cephalexin, cefadroxil can be given to treat the infection. And these antibiotics can be given in breast feeding mothers.

And topical application of an antibiotic ointment containing mupirocin such as T-bact or Bactroban cream thrice daily locally over the skin lesion and surrounding skin with redness is suggested.

The infection may spread to other areas by contact. So maintain good hand hygiene to prevent the spread of infection to other parts of body and to other persons in the family.

Therefore I advise you to consult the doctor for examination and to prescribe medication for the skin infection.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having boil on thigh. And a red patch on genitals. Currently breastfeeding. Antibiotics? 33 minutes later
Thank u.

I am concerned about taking medication during breast feeding hence would like to reconfirm if it is safe to take these.

Please can you provide me the name of the tablet to tell the chemist with the dosage.

Further how many times a day to I take it and for how many days. Should it be after meals?

Why do you recommend I see a doctor?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use antibiotic with prescription from the doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

The mentioned oral antibiotics can be taken safely by breast feeding mothers whenever there is a clinical indication.

The name of cephalexin available in the pharmacy is sporidex. The suggested dose in adults with skin and soft tissue infection is 500 mg tablet to be taken every 12th hourly for 5 days.

It should be taken after meals.

And the medication is a prescribed drug, so I advise you to take the drug with prescription from your doctor.

As it belongs to cephalosporin (penicillin) group, it should be avoided in persons who are allergic to penicillin group of drugs.

I recommended to see the doctor for the clinical examination of skin lesion, to review your medical and drug history to look for any drug allergies, and to prescribe an appropriate antibiotic for you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having boil on thigh. And a red patch on genitals. Currently breastfeeding. Antibiotics? 13 hours later
I have started with Sporidex 500 and applying T bact in the region.

Any dietary restrictions with regards to fish,sour and sweet foods.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No specific dietary restriction.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

As such there is no any specific dietary restriction.

Take measures to prevent the spread of infection to other parts of body and to other family members by maintaining good hand hygiene.

Observe the wound for healing. If you find any abnormal features like spreading of lesion and redness, swelling, abscess formation, and fever consult your doctor for physical assessment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you don't have any clarification you can close the discussion and I request you to rate my answer.

Best regards.