Having bleeding and taking pills. Finished with periods. Should I be concerned?

I was shopping and felt like i wee'd but when i went to the toilwt it was all blood. I went home and had a shower and was still heavily bleeding while standing there. Im on the pill and hav been for 7 years i ginoshed my period 4 days ago..
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The sudden and heavy bleeding that you are having can be due to uterine fibroids, polyps or hormonal disturbances. For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), and androgen profile are needed.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid .

You might consult your gynecologist who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.