Having black scar on face after an injury. How to get rid of this?

Dermatologist
Question
sir i have got a injury on my face , while playing badminton my partners nail snatched my face by 3 inches , now the wound is alright but their is a scar of black colour of 3 inch on my face , how can i get rid of this quickly.........
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment according to the type of scar Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Now you have developed a facial scar after a trauma to the face. I would like to know first about how old is the scar. When did you get this trauma to the face. Now there are various treatment options available nowadays for the treatment of various types of scars though the treatment depends mainly upon the type of scar and its depth. So I would first like to have a look at the scar. It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the same and upload them here on this page. You can also email them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure I would be able to help you more once I have a look at the scar. I would advise you to use a sunscreen over the face regularly in order to prevent any further darkening of the scar. We have both Medical and surgical treatment modalities for the treatment of scars which include use of lightening agents, chemical peels, dermabrasion and lasers. We can decide and individualize the treatment only according to the exact type of scar. Waiting for your response and the pictures. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Having black scar on face after an injury. How to get rid of this? 10 hours later
Hello DOCTOR , Refer to your queiries asked , I got hit on 11th-sept-2013 , while playing by hand nails of my partner , 1.It was a red wound , on which I used FLUTIBACT(fluticasone propionate &mupirocin ointment)+ tab.bicef 500 + cap beminal hs. 2.AFTER 15 days(29-sept-2013) medicine were changed as DERIVA MS-glenmark(Adapalene Gel Microspheres 0.1% w/w)+ tab.celim …….FLUTIBACT DISCONTINUED………….WOUND HEALED……..BLACK MARK LEFT……….. 3.After 10 days (10-oct-2013) ILUMAX-AJANTA PHARMA( A skin brightening cream i.e nianinanime 4%,licorice extract 40%ca0.1% , magnesium ascorbyl phosphate 0.5%w/w) added. FOR NIGHT. DERIVA DISCONTINUED.ALL CAPSULE & TAB.DISCONTINUED……………… 4.After 20 days (1/nov/2013) , LOMELA LITE- INTAS PHARMA(HYDROQUINONE , HYDROCORTISONE ACETATE &TRETINOIN CREAM) ADDED. FOR NIGHT……….ILUMAX DISCONTINUED ALL THE ABOVE PRESCRIPTION ARE FROM DR XXXXXXX XXXXXXX SKIN SPECIALIST (A HIGHLY RESPECTABLE DOCTOR IN THE REGION) AT CIVIL HOSPITAL JAGADHRI (HARYANA). MY QUERIES:DOCTOR , I DON’T WANT TO GO FOR ANY SURGERIES OR LASER TREATMENTS , I WANT YOU TO PRESCRIBE ME THE BEST OINTMENTS AND MEDICINE AVAILABLE IN THE COUNTRY FOR THE SAME , I AM ATTACHING SOME SNAPS ALSO. PLEASE ALSO TELL THE TIME IT WILL TAKE TO BE 100% CURED.ALSO TELL US THE OTHER DOCTOR IN OUR REGION …………..IF THE TREATMENT IS NOT POSSIBLE THROUGH OINTMENT , THEN ONLY TELL US OTHER MEASURES. I HAVE MY MARRIAGE IN DECEMBER , SO THIS MARK ON FACE IS ALSO HURTING MUCH TO ME. REGARDS XXXXXXX MITTAL 0000

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Pigmented scar, Take proper treatment. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have seen your pictures. You just have a pigmented scar which means that it is darker than the rest of the skin. There is seemingly no change in the skin texture. Now this is a good thing. It means that with proper treatment, the scar can be reduced. Now as far as the treatment for the same is concerned, i think only topical drugs will help us. You can start using a triple combination cream at night which is a combination of tretinoin, mometasone and hydroquinone at night ( I use something like skinlite cream). In addition , you should use a combination of kojic acid and vitamin c cream in the morning (I would recommend something like kojivit cream). Along with these, you should use a sunscreen lotion with spf atleast more than 26 regularly everyday . You need to apply it atleast 20 minutes before going out in the skin. Reapply the sunscreen every 3 hours if you tend to stay out in the sun. Also take oral vitamin c tablets daily as these also help in reducing pigmentation. A diet XXXXXXX in antioxidants and vitamins also helps. Take citrus fruits like orange. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and salads. Now , you can take this regimen for atleast 20 days . If you feel that the response is not adequate, then you can go for chemical peels which can be done by any dermatologist. But i think the medicines alone should do the job in your case. Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul.

Follow-up: Having black scar on face after an injury. How to get rid of this? 1 hour later
Hello doctor , Thanks for your reply. Some people also tell to apply lemon (nimbu) on the scar area in the morning and evening , also some tell to apply coconut oil on the scar , also some tell to put hot and cold water cloth one after another for atleast 10 minutes a day on the wound. Is this will help or not? I will start taking your prescription , but tell me in how many days you think it will be cured fully. Regards XXXXXX 0000

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pigmented scar: use sunscreen regularly Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX First of all, I would like to tell you that you should not use lemon over the affected area at all. It might initially appear that the scar is reducing, but in long run it will make the scar even worse. Now as far as coconut oil is concerned, there is no medical evidence of it having any role. It might just act as a soothing agent. Putting a hot and cold cloth alternately is helpful only when the wound is fresh and bleeding. It has no effect over the scar once the wound has healed. I would rather advise you to stop all home remedies for the time being and start the medical treatment as advised since you have very short time before your function. Remember that using a sunscreen is the most important part of the treatment since the pigmentation is increased by direct sunlight. I cannot be very sure but i think the scar should improve in a month's time ,rest only with time we can say as every persons skin is different. Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul