Having bad cold, ears started ringing. Given augmentin and a decongestion. Can i try using sofradex?

I had a bad cold and my ears started ringing one night. Went to an ENT doc and was given augmentin and a decongestion. I did a scope for ear and nose and there wasn't any thing wrong with my eardrums neither eustachian passage, just some mucous seen . It's been almost 10 days now and the ringing is till present. Can i try using sofradex? I'm going on a long trip next week, 18 hours of flight time.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

In my suggestion, I do not think you should try using Sofradex now. Sofradex contains Framycetin Sulphate, Gramicidin, Dexamethasone. These are not essential for you now.

You have already taken Augmentin, which takes care of any infection in the ears and the upper airway.

Please follow these suggestions:

1. Do steam inhalation thrice daily for the next one week continuously.

2. Do salt water gargling with warm water thrice daily for next one week.

3. Take antihistamines like Zyrtec 10mg at bedtime after food for 3 days.

4. You can go in for syringing of the ears to clear the canal and it will reduce the ringing sensation in your ear. You need to consult an ENT specialist for this.

These are simple measures but are going to be very effective, if you can follow them correctly.

I wish you a happy vacation. You will be fine soon.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.