Having back spasms and pain. Had liver transplant. No Tylenol or Nsaid. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I am having back spasms and pain right now. I need pain relief I am in a bind can you help, I am A liver transplant so no Tylenol or Nsaid .
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following measures will help with the pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

From description it seems you might be suffering Mechanical back pain.     
It is a common medical problem.Mechanical back pain implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain.
The following measures will help with the pain
1. Lie on hard bed
3. Hot water fomentation to back 2-3 times a day and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief.
4. Physiotherapy - Interferential therapy (IFT) to your back will help you relieve the pain
5. Avoid driving, leaning forward, sitting for prolonged time or lifting heavy weights. These activities can increase your back pain.
You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Follow-up: Having back spasms and pain. Had liver transplant. No Tylenol or Nsaid. Suggest? 14 minutes later
Is is at all possible for you to prescribe anything for the pain? I can take Ultram. It would help a lot. Thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take Ultram

Detailed Answer:
You can use Fentanyl Patch for pain control. You can also take Ultram as it works well for liver patients.

Follow-up: Having back spasms and pain. Had liver transplant. No Tylenol or Nsaid. Suggest? 3 minutes later
Yes, I know that, but I don't have any. Can you prescribe it?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your GP can prescribe it.

Detailed Answer:

Without an opportunity to examine you clinically I am not able to prescribe the medicine as it is an online forum. Your GP can prescribe it.

I hope that clears your doubts.