Having anxiety attacks with fast heart rate.Subscribed xanax and metoprolol. Had SVT and ablation. Concerned?

hi. I've been having some anxiety attacks off and on for the past 2 weeks. the main symptom is a fast heart rate. I have been subscribed .25 xanax and 12.5m I took them once teo weeks ago but havent since (until today). I've been very paranoid about my heart rate and today I noticed something new. it seems my heart is beating abnormally. not like PVC's or skipped beats or fluttering but it doesn't stay in a consistant rythyum. it will beat fast, then try to pause and slow down. I think it caused me to have a panic attack to I took .25 xanax and 12.5 metoprolol (tartrate). I felt calmer but but heart continued to act this way. so I waited 3 hours and took another 12.5 mg of metoprolol. and still hasn't put my heart in a consistant rythyum.

it's not beating to fast, maybe 100-110 but when i feel my pulse I can feel it beating faster, than slow for a few beats than faster again.

I had SVT 10 years ago and had an ablation and it doesn't feel like that. needless to say I'm worried and concerned.

I have no other symptoms, no shortness of breath, weakness, etc. I'm just very concerned about the rythyum of my heart.

do I need to go to the ER? I just happen to have an appointment with my cardiologist in the morning, but in the meantime, should I be concerned?

Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 30 minutes later
Dear Sir
I understand that you have written this in emergency. My first thought about this rhythm, as per your description and history of ablation, would be that it might be atrial fibrillation (AF, a characteristic irregularly irregular rhythm that can be symptomless otherwise). In addition, since it is the first possibility and can be confirmed or refuted by an ECG only you must go to ER. Reason for advising it is that
1. I want to confirm or rule out if this AF.
2. If it were indeed AF, most important consideration about treatment would be to start an anti-clotting agent. Because clot formation is, a real risk in early AF and that can be serious.
3. I ll not discuss other possibilities now, as they are benign and can be diagnosed only by ECG.
Please feel free to write if you want to know anything. However, do visit ER.
sukhvinder XXXXXXX