Having acute lower back pain with burning sensation. Any advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Having acute lower back pain leading from L5 to SI joint with burning sensation. pls advice.
in the past have taknen forllowing medicines.
1.Zandik for pain muscle relxant with volini oil.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in your query.

You seem to have a prolapsed inter vertebral disc, rightly at L5S1 region as you suggested or maybe a level higher. This disc may be compressing upon a nerve root that either exits or traverses through that level. Having known this basic anatomy, you must avoid any activity that aggravates the condition, like bending forward and lifting heavy objects, sitting long hours on computer, inappropriate sitting posture, etc.

I doubt the acuteness of the situation and believe its been there for sometime and has come to a stage with slightly advanced features like burning parasthesias. I hope you haven't noted muscle weakness or loss of sensations in any particular part of leg; because if you have, you should seek immediate help.

The medications will relieve pain and help muscles to relax. Physiotherapy shall also help a lot, especially exercises that strengthen your back. Kindly note that exercises should only be done when it doesn't hurt. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc.

Maybe its time you need an MRI done to have a diagnosis established. With that one can formulate a definitive treatment plan.

Please feel free to ask more. I'm available for follow up.