Having abdominal pain. Found mass inside vagina when fingering. Scan showed no mass. Any thoughts?

Question
I was being intimate with my girlfriend (30 years old) i had inserted my fingers inside her vagina, while in there I discovered a mass located on the side wall. It is roughly an inch in diameter, but thats hard to be sure as it is quite XXXXXXX inside and I was unable to palpate all around it. The mass is firm and smooth and appears to be spherical. She has had increasing abdominal pain in her right lower quadrant (same side as mass) for a few months now. Previous doctor visits have said endo, and previous scans have noted no masses etc. What I am asking for is obviously thoughts on what it could be, is it XXXXXXX (cancer) and what should the appropriate action taken is
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Thanks for your question.
Usually at this age these masses are benign cysts but confirmation can only be gained by doing clinical examination & biopsy if required. A trans-vaginal ultrasound is also a valuable tool to get more information.
Her lower abdominal pain also needs evaluation to find out the cause & to get specific treatment. There could be many reasons both Gynecological & non-Gynecological.
I think the easiest way to eleviate your anxiety is to take your friend to a Gynecologist. The doctor will do a speculum examination & is likely to tell you more about the mass.
Hope I have guided you the way you want. Please write back if you want more information.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having abdominal pain. Found mass inside vagina when fingering. Scan showed no mass. Any thoughts? 18 minutes later
Thank you for reply Dr. Qureshi. In regards to the pain in the lower abdomen it is located immediately above the pubic bone, and is approx 2 inches to the right of centre. The pain is dull and is constant, she feels it more when sitting but is there at other times. She also gets referred pain in to the lower back on the right side and there can be a burning sensation referring in to the clitoris. After sex she has a XXXXXXX pain which can replicate symptoms. This first started around 11 months ago and has been getting worse the last 2 months. It is worth noting that 2 months prior to this pain starting that she had an abortion.

If you could give me some thoughts about what you think this pain is likely caused from and if you think its related to the mass or from another condition. Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 8 hours later
Welcome back.
I can sense a little bit of medical background knowledge in your question, so, I think I may discuss some more & very important possibilities in this case.
If we keep her history of abortion in mind then pelvic infection is an important differential that should be ruled out. This may well be responsible of her symptoms.
Second possibility is a condition called endometriosis which can also cause such symptoms specially worsening pelvic pain & pain during sex.
Again all these are just suggestions based upon the history I read. A doctors visit clinical examination & some lab tests like swab tests from her vagina or Laparoscopy may be required to finally make a definitive diagnosis.