Having Rectocele. Do I need a surgery?

I recently was told I have a Rectocele. I have read all about it. I am now eating a lot of fiber and drinking a lot of water. No pain. Didn't even know I had one. Do I need to have surgery? I'd rather not....but does it depend on if I can have a Bm or not? Just had a Pap smear, pelvic exam, Bm blood test all ok. That's when he found the rectcele
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery does not modify bowel movement habit.

Detailed Answer:

If the prolapse does not protrude outside the vagina and does not cause any sort of discomfort, it can be observed. Kegel's exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor can be performed on a regular basis. A vaginal pessary may be introduced if support is thought to be necessary. Apart from this, certain other precautions can be taken to improve the situation.
-Trying to maintain a free bowel movement so that there is no extra effort exerted while emptying. This is already being practiced by you.
-trying to get rid of excess weight in case of obesity.
-avoiding lifting heavy weights
-avoiding excess coughing.

It is good that all the reports are normal. For isolated rectocele with no symptoms, observation is enough; only if there are associated features like cystocele or enterocele, a surgery is contemplated for total relief. Please remember, surgery does not alter the bowel habit.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Having Rectocele. Do I need a surgery? 12 minutes later
Do rectoceles grow? It seems to more back in the vagina and causes no discomfort far. Not sure how to do the kegel exercises....I have looked that up too.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Growth depends on the persistence of the causes.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

The growth or increase in the size of the rectocele depends on the causative factors, their persistence and the muscle tone. Constipation, cough, obesity and strain are to be avoided and if they persist, the prolapse may increase.

Kegel's exercises are meant to support to the pelvic floor by strengthening the pelvic floor muscles. The strong pelvic floor in turn supports the bladder, uterus and the rectum. The following are the steps to perform these exercises:
-Tighten the pelvic floor muscles as if you are trying to stop urinating
-Hold the contraction for five seconds, relax for five seconds; if you find holding difficult at the beginning, you can start by holding for 2 seconds and relaxing for 3 seconds.
-Increase the time of holding the contraction up to 10 seconds.
-Perform the exercises three times a day repeating them ten times at a sitting.

Hope your query is answered. Please contact for further information. I will be ready to help.