Having Parkinson's disease. Is driving safe?

What is your opinion of Parkinson's patients driving? The person I am worried about is almost 70 years old. I wonder if : (1) He is too old to drive (2) He has Parkinson's and should not drive. He has never had an accident and limits his driving. He avoids driving in heavy traffic and on interstate highways. Mostly he drives short distances and does not at nght
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Parkinson's disease is one of the conditions that should be well analyzed with respect to driving cessation. In case it is really symptomatic (stiffness and excessive tremor), the patient should consider stopping to drive.

At 69 with symptomatic Parkinson's disease, I honestly and personally think considering to stop driving should be a brilliant idea. It s true that if under his medication or educational therapy, driving on traffic free roads, avoiding heavy traffic or interstate highways could be acceptable to some degree, considering the fact he has never had an accident, its better to be cautious and actually cut off from driving.

Its therefore certain his Parkinson's manifestations are under proper control. However, advising him to stop driving is actually the best advice. Short distances on non risky ways could only be acceptable to me under very very rare situations. The best thing however, is STOPPING .

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best.

Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD.