Have yeast infections under abdominal fold. Using nystatin powder. Medical cure for this?

I have had yeast infections for years under my abdominal fold, within the last 6 months it has spread to my entire pubic area, underside of belly and inner thighs. It looks more like bruising. I had been using nystatin powder with now relief and then my doctor gave me a combination cream. When it was a fungal infection, it cleared right up, now, nothing works. Its embarrasing and sore all the time. I am 48 year old woman. 5' 7" and about 285 lbs. My weight is mostly in a hanging apron like fold of skin. What can this be and any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Patel 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern about your skin problem. I feel this may be intertrigo or resistant tinea infection. Overweight, friction, pressure, medical condition like diabetes are some common reasons for it.

You should keep the skin dry and clean and continue applying clotrimazole powder over the skin fold. Clotrimazole will prevent further damage to skin and gradually improve the condition. In addition it is also worthwhile to check your blood sugars under the guidance of a dermatologist.

Severe case will require oral antifungal medicines. Your dermatologist will know about oral antifungal agents available at your location.

Please do not use combination cream as it may worsen the condition.

I hope I answered your query. If you have any further query, you can write back to me.