Have very frequent UTI, no cause detected, referred for urine culture. Cause for UTI?

Doc, i have very frequent urinary track infection, when visited urologist last time no cause detected. Referred for urine culture. Any idea what may cause such frequent UTI almost every 2 months?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 31 minutes later
I wish I had details as to whether you have been actually evaluated for UTI, i.e.has a urine Culture been formally done on any occasion, and also at the time when the infection has recurred. If urine culture has indeed grown bacilli every time there have been features of infection, you should certainly get completely evaluated.
There are two kinds of recurrent infection - a persistence where the infection was never removed from your system, and secondly a relapse where an infection was removed from your urinary system but the system has got rapidly reinfected again, mostly from outside. Persistence is usually due to an innate pathology in the body as might happen if you have kidney stones or obstruction to your urinary stream. relapse is more common among females. Having said that, we suggest a very complete evaluation in every young adult male who presents with features of ultrasound of your abdomen, a urinary flow rate, and special tests such as IVP / MCUG / CT scan of your kidneys with urogram. Obviously you will not require all the tests straightaway, and the tests you might require to have done will depend on what the basic tests reveal.
Hope I have been able to answer all your queries.