Have trouble sleeping, cannot sleep without taking Restyl. Now take cough syrup to sleep.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have trouble sleeping. have been taking melatonin and calcium for a few years. Find the calcium is causing constipation and i still cant sleep. The Doctor put me on Restyl for a few months. I could not sleep after I stopped Restyl . I now take cough syrup to sleep - currently taking 5 ml cough syrup (TusQ X). Without anything i cant sleep more than 2 hours at night. I start coughing or get restless.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Insomnia is commonly caused due to stress and anxiety. Since you could sleep well on taking Restyl, it strengthens the possibility that anxiety is the most probable cause in your case. I would suggest that you need to consult your physician to find out if you are having difficulty in falling asleep or there is early morning insomnia. After ruling out all the organic causes, he can prescribe you a mild sedative with minimal day time sedation like a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic like zolpidem which would be suitable for you. Taking a cough syrup can help you in falling asleep but it will not relieve your anxiety.
You can try these simple measures to help you fall asleep-
1. Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, breathing exercises.
2. Indulge yourself in moderate exercise during the day
3. Do not exercise before bedtime
4. Stick to a regular sleeping schedule.
5. Try hot foot bath before going to sleep
6. Decrease intake of tea and coffee specially do not take caffeine after 4.00 PM
7. Try to go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time each morning. This includes weekends.
8. Block out the surrounding environmental noise. Your room should look like a cave.
9. Avoid napping in the afternoon.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.