Have thyroid and PCOD. On fertility medication. Trying to conceive. Side effects of medicine on baby?

May 2013
We are newly married and planning for a baby for the past 1 yr. Recently my wife is diagnosed with Thyroid and PCOD symptoms. She is under treatment of Thyrox, Metformin and Duphaston.

Now we decided to take fertility tabs as advised by our Dr. Will fertility tabs (Ferttyl super) have any side effects during pregnancy and on the kids ?

Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 51 minutes later

PCOD is characterized by menstrual irregularities, anovulation, insulin resistance etc.
Thyroid hormonal disorders also can affect the menstrual cycle.
So by taking Metformin to increase insulin sensitivity, duphaston for regularization of menstrual cycle, thyrox to treat hypothyroidism we can expect some improvement in the symptoms.
Fertyl super contains clomiphene which is used to induce ovulation .
It can cause side effects like multiple pregnancy, cysts in the ovary, nausea, bloating sensation of the abdomen, breast tenderness etc.
But usually with single cycle and low dose there may not be much serious effects.
So your wife can use the tablets according to your doctor's instructions.
After using the tablets track the ovulation either by natural methods like basal body temperature method, cervical mucus method etc or by ovulation kit or ultrasound and plan intercourse around that time which will increase the chances of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.