Have swollen tonsils and swollen painful tongue. What is the cause and cure?

I have a swollen tonsils, swollen painful tongue, sublingual salivary gland swelling, temperature 99.5. Went to see my XXXXXXX medicine Dr. today and he had me pick zyrtec 10mg and zantac 150 mg 2x/day. No change at this time to symptoms listed above.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Your symptoms of sore throat are suggestive of a throat infection most likely a viral infection. Bacterial infections thought can't be ruled out completely.

Usually such viral infections resolve spontaneously in 3-5 days time. If they worsen, you need appropriate antibiotics.

I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) For swollen tonsils relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.