Have swollen inguinal glands both sides, not increasing in size and hard. Cause?

Question
hello,

I have swollen inguinal glands both sides, have noticed them for about 6 months. They don't seem to be growing they are pretty hard and about the size of a pea or a little bit larger.

Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The cause is likely to be benign

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend,

Enlargement of inguinal lymph nodes bilaterally, is usually due to a benign infection of penis, scrotum, anal canal and region around anus (perineum); infection of feet or legs. You have not mentioned if you had suffered from any ailment of these organs/region, prior to development of enlarged inguinal glands.

Further, the enlarged glands can be part of generalized enlargement of glands in other regions. Though your enlarged glands are static (not growing), are hard, but less than 1cm is size, there may not be any cause for concern.

Your chest pain with associated tenderness in the back, may be due to chronic acidity. You have not furnished detailed information of chest pain; or, other problems, if any.

Please provide me detailed information regarding having suffered in the past, from any infection of sexual organs, anus, scrotum, feet/legs; details of your chest/back pain; presence of acidity; irregular low grade fever; weight loss in the recent past; cough with expectoration.

Your additional input will be of tremendous help in pinpointing the cause and nature of your ailment(s). Am awaiting receipt of the same.

Nevertheless, I will recommend that you consult your treating doctor, who will examine you thoroughly for presence of enlarged glands in other regions too; may advise biopsy, and other relevant investigations (if required), on the basis of the clinical findings.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal

Follow-up: Have swollen inguinal glands both sides, not increasing in size and hard. Cause? 8 hours later
hello, thanks for your reply, i have no fever or weight loss, the only thing i can think of is that iv'e had problems with a anal fissure/ rectal bleeding that was on and off for months, seems to have gone away now. The chest and back pain are sore and when i press on them i can recreate the pain. Back pain is by the scapula left and right side, chest pain is at the top dead centre. I have noticed a little acidity but not much.

Thanks for your help,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's a benign condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

From additional details provided, the cause, that is, anal fissure, is more or less certain. Therefore, there's nothing to worry : the glands will regress gradually over a period of time.

However, if the inguinal glands grow in size >1cm, do make it a point to consult your treating doctor to carry out thorough examination.

Have a nice day and best of health.

Dr. Karanwal