Have swollen and tingling lips after breastfeeding. What could be causing this?

Question
Hi there, i have a 10 month old who
I am breastfeeding in the mornings & at night. I have had this problem twice now where I feed her in the morning & soon after feel a tingle on my lip & soon after it is swollen which last time lasted for about 4 hrs. My top lip was swollen last time, now it is my bottom lip. Do you know why this is happening?
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The breast feeding s not likely to cause the swelling of the lips that you are having. It is more likely to be due to an allergic reaction or angioedema.
Angioedema is an allergic condition characterized by swelling just below the surface of the skin, usually around the lips and eyes. During an allergic reaction lots of chemical mediators of inflammation are released, histamine is one of them, which causes blood vessels to swell. The cause is unknown, but certain food and environmental conditions can trigger an attack of angioedema.

Angioedema is similar to that of hives, but hives produce itchy red lesions on the surface of your skin. Angioedema is a much deeper swelling, occasionally leading to breathing difficulty. Sometimes it's not possible to pinpoint the cause of hives and angioedema, especially when these conditions become chronic or recur. Both hives and angioedema are usually caused by an allergic reaction, to food, medication, pollen or insect stings.

It can be controlled if the preventive measures are followed; such as avoiding those things which can trigger an attack of allergy and angioedema. Some doctors suggest skin patch test (allergen test) to find the triggering allergens which can be avoided.
You can take an antiallergic like cetrizine and see if the swelling subsides.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Have swollen and tingling lips after breastfeeding. What could be causing this? 2 hours later
Thanks for your explaination. I forgot to mention earlier that i get dermatitis, could it be linked?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. The symptoms you have can be due to dermatitis. Applying 1% hydrocortisone ointment available over the counter might be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have swollen and tingling lips after breastfeeding. What could be causing this? 6 hours later
Thanks for your help. It's very appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards