Have swollen and itchy eyelid. What is the disease called?

My left eyelid looks and feels swollen. It get itchy and stings throughout the day. The skin under my bottom lashline appears slightly raised. My right eye appears normal , but gets itchy, though to a lesser degree. This has been going on for a few months. On occasion I wake up with gunk on my eyelashes ,though it more often happens on the right side. My eyelids were also somewhat greasy, and would get very watery, but this stopped about a month ago. My eye problems have been going on for a few months now. What is going on?
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I think you are having allergic conjunctivitis.

In allergic conjunctivitis there will be increased itching, discharge and some time redness. Some times it is associated with running nose. It may be some times associated with other allergies like bronchial asthma or skin allergy.

There could be various causes for this allergy. It may be pollen, pollution, perfumes, costumes etc. Avoidance of the allergen if one is identified is the best treatment. But most of the cases the allergen is difficult to identify.

Antihistaminics, Steroid eye drops and mast cell stabiliser eye drops prescribed by your doctor after physical examination will be useful.

Cold compresses may be useful some times.

Hope this helps.