Have swelling on the middle right side of back neck. What can this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello i just find out the swelling on the middle right side of my back neck what can this cost? is there limpha?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
The swelling on the middle right side of the back of the neck can possibly be due to-
1. A lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.
2. A lymph node swelling - usually seen in the presence of any infection in the area or viral illness.
3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this swelling examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, apply warm compresses on the area because if it is a swollen lymph node or boil then application of warm compresses will help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have swelling on the middle right side of back neck. What can this be? 10 minutes later
hi is there limpho noodle on the back of the neck?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
I think you mean to say lymph node. Yes this can be swollen at the back of the neck due to an infection or allergy in the area.