Have swelling near saliva glands. Feeling discomfort in throat. What should be done?

I have swollen glands that an ear nose and throat specialist said were my saliva glands, I have also developed a mild discomfort at the front of my throat. He said it was nothing serious, but it's not going away. Some days I feel nothing some days it's quite irritating. Also, the swelling of the glands are uniform, that is, they are the same size.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 3 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

As per your history your swelling could be due to enlarged salivary glands or lymphnodes.

U have not mentioned the site of swelling, it would be better if you have mentioned the site and duration of the symptoms .

I advice you to take a course of antibiotics for 5 days, if the symptoms persist then better u consult your doctor and undergo further investigations like FNAC and USG by which you can definitely diagnose cause of the swelling,and aids in appropriate treatment.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Have swelling near saliva glands. Feeling discomfort in throat. What should be done? 15 hours later
I realized after sending the email that I should have given more info. It is below my jaw on both sides. They are soft to the touch and are not sensitive when I touch them. They have been like this over a year now. The ent I saw said they were nothing serious, but he didn't give me an ultrasound or anything of that nature. Before I saw him I was seeing my regular doc and he put me on antibiotics on two different occasions. I had experienced this for approximately 10 months, then I started feeling the feeling in the front of my throat. He then sent me to the ent and he told me it was nothing of concern. Ive been looking at symptoms for thyroid issues and I have been also experiencing joint pain in my elbows and ankles, which is conducive with thyroids. There is no abnormal growths that I can tell. It just feels weird. It comes and goes. I just want to not feel this anymore.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 7 hours later
Good to hear from you.

As u say swelling is below both the jaw then it could be submandibular salivary gland swelling.

As u are saying swelling comes and go, then there could be stone in salivary gland or salivary gland duct.
So i advice u to get one ultrasound done. If its due to stone then you can get lithotripsy that means crushing of the stone done .

This would relive your symptoms .
As you have got ENT examination done they have said thyroid is normal, then no need to be concerned .

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.