Have swelling below adam's apple. Should I consult a doctor?

I have swelling directly below my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX it extends vertically about 6 inches long. It doesn't hurt to touch, but is visibly swollen. I haven't had any trauma to that area. I am a smoker, don't know if this matters. I just noticed it today. Should I go to a doctor or see if it goes away?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are describing can be lymph node,bursitis, thyroid swelling, sebaceous cyst etc.
Also I would like to know-
Is there any pain/itching/ color change over the area?
Does the swelling move with swallowing?
Does it move from side to side?is overlying skin attached or is it movable?
Any other health issues or swellings?
Can u upload photos of the affected area?
Answer the questions and upload the photographs to help you better.
Awaiting your response.
Follow-up: Have swelling below adam's apple. Should I consult a doctor? 8 hours later

Thank you for your response. There is no pain, itching or color change. The area does not move when swallowing and the overlying skin is attached and doesn't move. It's just swollen, not like a cyst or moveable nodule. It's about 3inches(not 6inches as I originally said) long and 1/4 inch wide. A picture wouldnt really show anything, the swelling isn't that apparant. It's more obvious when you run you fingers over it, from the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX down.
I looked up thyroid swelling and I think that's what it is. I looked at the symptoms of hypothroidism and I have 7 of 10. Rapid weight gain, hard to lose weight, trouble swallowing, depression, unexplained tiredness, night sweats, breast milk(eventhough I stopped breast feeding 5yrs ago).
What do you think? I had my thyroid tested a few years ago and it was normal, but I read that, this can happen even when you have a problem. Should I make an appt w/my GP?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Thanks for the details.
As you have noticed that swelling moves with swallowing it is more likely to be a thyroid swelling.Swelling with other thyroid related symptoms of weight gain and depression suggest a thyroid problem.
It wil be good to get examined by your GP.
A thyroid function test with T3,T4;TSH ,TPO parameters will be required.A thyroid scan can be done if required.
Hope this helps.