Have swelling and lump that moves on left calivical area. Indicates cancer?

I have swelling and a lump that moves around on my left calivical area. everything I read indicates cancer somewhere. I did however get a flu shot 4 days ago in my left arm. could that be the cause?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, a flu-shot could cause lymph nodes to swell

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and would like to confirm whether you meant clavicle area (which is the collar bone) or cervical region (which is in the genital region)?

If this is near the clavicle then this could be a swollen lymph node, which could be caused due to an infection, a growth or even cancer as you have suspected. I would recommend a visit to the doctor, who would examine it and even request for a biopsy test (which will confirm the nature of the condition).

If this is in the cervical region, then this could be related to various conditions like a cyst; sexually transmitted infection; and least commonly, cancer. A culture examination of the tissue within will help in determining the exact condition. Please do not get anxious or worried ma'am. I am sure this is nothing serious, and a visit to the doctor will surely provide more accurate and concrete answers to your query.

The flu shot could have caused an inflammation of the lymph nodes, and you are quite right in assuming this to be the cause. In such a scenario, I would advice you to wait for 7-10 days for this to disappear. If it does not, then you may have to visit your doctor.

I hope this information helps you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.