Have sore mouth, tongue, throat and esophagus. Had steroid shot for back pain. Related?

My mouth,tongue, throat and esophagus is soar like razorblades and my tongue feel thick. It has felt this way since I had a steroid shot for my back problem. It has worsened since my 2nd shot. Could this be a reaction from it. My Dr. that gave it to me said he hasn't seen this reaction before. It has been going on now for 3 or 4 months. Should I be concerned of throat cancer.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need for concern; could test for satisfaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I would have to agree with your doctor that such a reaction is uncommon. But, there have been absolutely no documented cases wherein steroid shots can result in cancer, or aggravate its symptoms. So I do not think you should be concerned about throat cancer.

But sir, for your satisfaction I think you could request your doctor to conduct a simple endoscopy or laryngoscopy with collection of tissue sample (if required). This investigation will help in visualizing the exact condition of your throat when you are experiencing your symptoms. This will help to rule out/diagnose infections, and with the help of a tissue sample, also help to rule out cancer.

Please request for the same sir. It is always best to be safe. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.