Have sore lump on lower back. Cause and cure?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a sore lump above one of the dimples on my lower back. and the pain is spread into my buttock. Do you know what it is, please?
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

The lump is more likely to be due to soft tissue (usually fatty tissue) in the location that you have mentioned.

Fat tissue grows through the holes in the facial layer over time forming fatty lipomas.
Some days they may not hurt and some days it hurts to even walk. Hence the lump get larger over time it can also cause referred pain in the buttock and down the leg.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.