Can lump on my collarbone and fatty lipoma on my body be indications of cancer?

Oncologist, Surgical
I discovere a softish, round ,movable, lump a Bout the size of grape just above my collarbone in the soft tissue area on the side of my neck. Is this a signal of cancer. I have an appointment with a gp in a week. I have no idea how long it's been there. It doesn't hurt and is not very visible, but definately present. What are the possibilities? I do have several fatty lipomas on my body, 2 giant ones were removed from my back. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be a lipoma Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the query. The location of the lump which you have described could be the site of a lymph node. If you have no other symptoms and are in perfect well being, it is not likely to be cancerous. Besides, the fact that you have lipomas elsewhere in the body makes the probability of this lump being a lipoma even greater. It is impossible to differentiate between the two without actually feeling the lump with the hand. 1 week of waiting will not do any harm. Please feel free to get back in case of any other queries.
Follow-up: Can lump on my collarbone and fatty lipoma on my body be indications of cancer? 8 hours later
Is the fact that it is not painful a positive fact? I have had swollen nodes before and the always were sore.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pain is not an important criterion. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the query. Presence or absence of pain is not an important criterion in your case. Swollen nodes are usually painful if they are inflammatory. Cancerous nodes are usually painless. In your case if you do not have any other symptoms pertaining to any other organ, such as vomiting, constipation, abdominal fullness, early satiety or loss of appetite and weight loss or a breast lump, then there is no cause for worry. The lump could well be a lipoma.