Have small lump near vaginal opening. Is this a sign of cervical cancer?

I have a small lump, about the size of a nickel that seems to begin below my urethra and extend in under it into my vaginal opening. I can actually push it back it, but it doesn't stay there. It has an odd texture to it, like it has small folds. It is directly between the inner labia. It suddenly appeared about 15 days ago after I pulled a tampon out. I have had High risk results on a pap smear about five years ago and I am terrified that this is a sign of cervical cancer, although it is not listed as a symptom. It doesn't hurt at all, not even when hard pressure is applied to it. I guess my question is, what could this be?
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The causes for a small lump just below the urethra could be one of the following:-
1. Bartholin's Cyst - Is located midway of the labia, and protrudes into the vagina and causes discomfort during sexual intercourse.
Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.
2. Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.
Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.
Cervical cancer does not present as a painless swelling near urethra. Please do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.