Have small lump inside labia majora. No pain or itching. What could it be?

Hi I have a small lump inside my labia majora, near to the edge of the labia. I noticed it over 2 weeks ago and it's not sore or itchy. I am panicking that it's herpes but could it be something else? Thanks
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 47 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

1. How big is the lump in mm?
2. Is it at the skin surface or deeper?
3. Is there any sign of a blister?
4. Has it ever occurred before?

Please let me know.
Follow-up: Have small lump inside labia majora. No pain or itching. What could it be? 17 minutes later
Thank you!

I would say it's about 2mm across, a shiny bump that is not very noticable on the skin surface feels like it's a little bump under the skin. Absolutely no sign of blister, and I've never had one before.

I'm sexually active with a new partner of 2.5months, with nothing before that for 8 months. He has recently been tested for STDs and is clear. I've had few sexual partners in my life and always use a condom.

Hope that's good info.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 hours later
Thank you for the followup - sorry for the delay.

First of all, this is not herpes. Herpes starts as a painful blister at the surface that eventually breaks open and crusts over. It is usually surrounded by a red skin at the edge of the blister. It also would not just sit as a nodule for two weeks.

The other common STD is called molluscum contagiosum. This is usually a bump that is also at the skin surface. It can present more like a nodule, and the nodule has a very subtle central depression - almost like a miniature volcano. This does not sound like what you are describing either.

Most likely this represesnts an 'inclusion cyst'. This is basically a blocked sweat gland and they are common in the exact location that you are describing. This is nothing to worry about if it is not bothering you.

I would consider this a non-urgent situation. It is worth bringing up to your OB/GYN at your next exam or sooner if it seems to be getting bigger.

I hope that this helps and thank you for the question.