Have slightly numb tongue, pain in head and developed red patches around eye. Bell's palsy?

Question
I have had a slightly numb tongue for a day or two and this evening I cannot close right eye very easily and it is teary. I googled Bell's palsy symptoms but I cannot be sure it is that because I can wrinkle my forehead and raise my eyebrows without any problem. I have not experienced any numbness anywhere on my body and the only pain I have felt is a slight one in the back of my head ( same side as teary eye, pretty much opposite on back of head). It's not really painful as such, more an aggravating sensation in one particular spot. About half an hour or so after I noticed problems with my eye, I developed two red patches around the outside of each eye (on the skin, not the eye itself) . They feel a little sore.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 40 minutes later

In one type of facial nerve paralysis (the upper motor neuron type) the fore head muscles are spared. So there will not be asymmetry of fore head wrinkles in this type of facial palsy.

Try to show your teeth completely in front of a mirror. The angle of mouth will be drawn to one side in facial nerve palsy.

Try and blow out you cheek against a closed mouth. See if air can be made to escape from the mouth more easily on one side when you press the blowed cheeks.

Try to see if there is asymmetry of nasolabial fold when you examine you self in a mirror.

There may be decreased taste sensation.

Do not worry if you do not understand any of these. Your description suggestive of upper motor neuron type of facial palsy requires complete physical examination by your doctor who will further order the necessary investigations.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Have slightly numb tongue, pain in head and developed red patches around eye. Bell's palsy? 1 hour later
Hi. Sorry, what I really want to know is if my symptoms sound more like a facial palsy than a stroke. I realise you can't be 100% sure without a physical examination but your opinion would be much appreciated. ( I could find no mention of red marks around the eyes on any websites so that worries me a bit).

Many thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 56 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Your symptoms are suggestive of upper motor neuron type of facial palsy. The possibility can be confirmed only by careful physical examination. Investigations such as MRI or CT brain are in order. I would suggest you to visit your doctor and get the tests done at the earliest.

Without an opportunity to examine those red patches, it is difficult to comment on it. However the possibilities are insect bite, herpes zoster, etc.

Hope this helps.