Have sharp stabbing pain in shoulder while resting with sore neck and forearm. Cause and cure?

I have a sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder comes and gos and only last for 1-2 seconds. Very inconsistent and mostly when im resting. Its about an inch lower from were my collar bone meets my shoulder and just a bit to the front. Sometime just after the back of my neck or my forearm will be sore as well.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds like a neuralgia type pain. Neuralgia refers to abnormal sensations such as the stabbing brief pain you described, that can occur in different parts of the body as a result of irritation or damage to a particular nerve.
Some persons may also call the abnormal sensations paresthesia.

The pain may occur mostly on resting because of pressure placed on the nerve.

The diagnosis of the exact nerve involve would require physical examination. Each nerves supplies a specific area of the body and by determining the area involved, your doctor will know which nerve is affected.
The treatment normally involves the use of medication that dampen the nerves firing response.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions