Have several basil cancer cells in hair. Very slow growing. Is it serious?

Ophthalmologist
Question
I have several XXXXXXX cancer cells in my hair. If they arw not removed, what will happen? They are very slow growing so how many years do I have before they could be serious?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Basal cell carcinoma requires treatment always.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Basal cell carcinoma is one of the commonest skin cancers and most commonly affects the head and neck.
Being an ophthalmologist I have come across several cases of basal cell carcinoma affecting the eye lids. Infact 90% of the malignant tumors affecting the eye lids are Basal cell carcinomas.

Though Basal cell carcinoma is said to be non metastasizing tumor, but it is locally aggressive tumor which can spread and invade the neighbouring structures.

Coming to your first question, what will happen if they are not removed?
The spread of the tumor depends on the site and type of basal cell carcinoma. Few basal cell carcinomas may remain localized for a long time but all will spread eventually by local invasion leading to loss of neighbouring structures.

Coming to your second question how long to wait before they are serious?
It is difficult to say when they can become serious, infact they are locally invasive from begining. Only thing is the rate of spread depends on factors like sub type of the cancer.

Hence I advice you not to wait for long time after the diagnosis and undergo treatment. Though treatment is not required immediately but it is better to undergo treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you

Follow-up: Have several basil cancer cells in hair. Very slow growing. Is it serious? 2 hours later
YES!!

Answer is perfect. Not sure if I have basal but I have a couple sores or painful bumps in my hair that seem to not go away and I feel confident they may be Basal cell carcinoma.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to confirm that it is basal cell carcinoma

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Thank you for the follow up query.
Thanks for the comments.

Basal cell carcinoma can present as plaque or nodule or ulcer. When it presents as ulcer the characteristic feature is rolled margins with destruction of the margin.

Since you have painful bumps involving the hair first get it examined by surgeon as many other swellings like sebaceous cysts or hyperplasia, keratosis... can also present with similar picture. Later treatment can be decided accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you

Follow-up: Have several basil cancer cells in hair. Very slow growing. Is it serious? 1 hour later
If I could get a picture to you, could you give an opinion?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please do send pictures

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Please do send pictures.

Thank you.