Have rheumatoid arthritis and sleep apnea. Got swollen nose after sun exposure. Do I have lupus?

I was out in the sun for 10--15 minutes one day and hours after I came indoors, the bridge of my nose swelled, outside and inside, became a dark red color and was feverish. The lower end of my nose did not swell just the upper. Was not sunburn. I got some ice and put on it and it reduced the swelling but the pain remained. The next day it was fine. When I went out another day, the same thing happened. I have RA and it made me wonder if I had Lupus. I get rashes from sun in summer but nothing like this. The rash each summer causes itching on my chest, lower arms and face, but I usually wear a hat, sunscreen and limit exposure. I had been taking Plaquenil but stopped it because doctors worried about many years of use.
Doctors were afraid of what it could do to my eyes. I have never shown damage and get tested at the eye doctor each year. The first 6 mo of last year I had the worst flare ever. Almost could not walk at all. Kept getting really sick with fever, nausea, vomiting sometimes sinus, sore throat. Had to go to hospital for fluids twice. Found out I have sleep apnea and am using a CPAP now. Started Aderall in July of 2012. I cannot get a Rheumatologist anywhere near here because they won't take my insurance.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 8 hours later
There is a definite possibility that you have lupus.

Do you ever have your XXXXXXX done?

As I can see, you are on a lot of medication for pain but none for arthritis.

You should probably restart hydroxychloroquine, it is one of the safest medicines esp. if you are getting eye check up done regularly.

methotrexate is another drug that you should be on, for the arthritis.

In addition, other precautions you are already taking like protection from sun and sunscreen.

Then of course, you should be on folic acid, calcium daily.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Have rheumatoid arthritis and sleep apnea. Got swollen nose after sun exposure. Do I have lupus? 20 hours later
I do remember XXXXXXX test was done years ago and it was elevated. I think C reactive protien was and Rheumatoid Factor was negative. Another problem I've had for many years is depression. I heard that can be a symptom too. A doctor thought maybe it was bi-polar disorder and I have taken medicine for that. I just don't remember ever feeling or being out of control like a manic person. I've been chronically depressed though. I have been in excruciating pain through the years. My husband believed I was lying and left me. Talked to a Physican Assistant yesterday and she and my pain specialist want to do extensive testing to see if it is Lupus. I believe they said there were specific antibodies that they look for now with Lupus. If I do have Lupus, other than being on medication are there exercises that can help? Certain foods I shouldn't eat?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 3 hours later

Yes, exercises should definitely help for your arthritis as well as depression.

They can be regular aerobic exercises and specific exercises for joints.

Food does not really have much to do with arthritis.