Have red and tingling palms. What is causing this and the cure?

I have red and tingling palms that started this morning and I don't know what caused it or what it is.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I will attempt to help you with your question.

You state that you are completely healthy. Red palms, or I will refer to it as "palmar erythema" is a relatively non-specific finding. It can be seen with a variety of diseases that include:

1. Liver disease
2. Thyroid disease
3. Disease of the blood

While this is probably of low concern, it is worth bringing up to your doctor. Tests to assess for the above mentioned areas are simple and would include:

1. CBC (blood counts)
2. TSH (test of thyroid function)
3. Hepatic panel (test of liver function)

Do not worry, this does not sound urgent, but I think that it worth a call to your doctor to be further evaluated. This is exactly what I would recommend to a patient such as you calling with a similar complaint.

I hope this helps. - DR XXXXXXX