Have purplish black dot on shaft, it's not raised and is under the skin. What could be this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I have a little purplish black dot on my shaft it's not raised it looks like its under the skin what is this
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

I went through the picture, but the clarity is not good.

There are many spots in the skin of penis, which are due to moles, skin pigmentation, capillary hemangiomas, and due to some skin problems.

With your description, it is looking like a Fordyce spot. It is a purplish spot, which can appear on glans, shaft or scrotum and usually affect young men.

It is painless and no itchy, but may cause embarrassment because of the appearance, or fear that it might be sexually transmitted-which it is not.

It is due to abnormally dilated blood vessels, covered by thickened skin.

Another possibility is due to presence of mole.

Mole will present on the shaft of penis with purplish black dot in the deeper layers of the skin.

Most of the spots are benign and harmless and requires no treatment.

But some pathological skin lesions like psoriasis, lichen sclerosis, and eczema has to be ruled out by physical examination by the doctor.

Hence, I advise you to consult the dermatologist for examination and advice.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have purplish black dot on shaft, it's not raised and is under the skin. What could be this? 20 minutes later
Are little white dots fordyce spots as well I have them ot really noticeable until I get erect or stretch the penis

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 45 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

The spots on penis shaft looks prominent in normal state.

But with erection or stretching of penis or penile skin, these spots become less obvious because of stretching of the skin lesions.

Physical examination by the dermatologist is important to know the exact nature of these skin lesions.

Therefore I advice you to take appointment for dermatologist consultation for examination of this skin condition and advice.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to get back.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have purplish black dot on shaft, it's not raised and is under the skin. What could be this? 1 minute later
That was not in regards of the blackish spot it's little white bumps that appear more when it's hard I looked it up it looks like fordyce spots as well I didn't know the fordyce spots could be the purplish color as well

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

The white bumps on penis may be pearly penile papules, which typically develop in men aged 20 to 40.

Even lichen sclerosis plaques also appear as white spots.

Fordyce spots are of purplish color usually because of their origin from blood vessels which are covered by thickened skin.

Usually these spots are not associated with any symptoms like pain, itching, discharge, or redness.

If they are associated with any symptoms, then pathological skin conditions to be ruled out by physical examination.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification, please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have purplish black dot on shaft, it's not raised and is under the skin. What could be this? 28 minutes later
Could these be genital warts they look like the hair follicle bumps at the base of my penis just on the bottom side in the middle of my shaft

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 18 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Genital warts are usually growths above the skin. They are skin or flesh colored or brown with a moist surface.

Genital warts look like the surface of cauliflower and they are soft to touch.

They present as papules or growths and raised above the skin.

With your description and the picture, they are not looking like genital warts.

Other possible bump is molluscum contagiosum, which will present as a dome-shaped papule often with a central depression or plug. A curd like discharge can be squeezed from it.

Regards.