Have post concussion syndrome. Change in mood, fear to go out, disconnected from world. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy?

Dear dr. XXXXXXX

a month ago you answered my question. I will try to remind you by short explanation. Due to occasional pain of CIDP I used to hit my head with my hand. Maybe now you would remember.

Finaly I realised this was wrong because first I noticed tinnitus.... than after some time dizzines, pareshesia etc.

At the end my head became so sensitive that even small touch causes problems. So, it happened a month or more ago.

Some of symptoms subsided, but some are worse, especialy dizziness, like my balance is not good, and I have problem with organizing things, it improved actualy, but most disturbing is frustration, like change of personality, suddanly i feel diferent and prone to suicide, or feel agression but don't want to hurt anybody.

I did MRI, and as you said, I talked to nerogist and neuropsychiatrist. They say that these hIits could cause concussion injjury, like you said as well, and that most probably I have postconcussion syndrom.

Over time I met one condition named chronic traumatic enecpehalopathy. I am said it can not be case with me, since I couldn't induce it with hand, and it develops over time..... first time I had hit myself one year ago or so, but I repeated it some time, but not realy every day. Not even every week..

I am mostly concerned about CTE since I noticed change in mood, fear to go out, kind of disconnection to the world, although I was told all this can be PCS, still I am in doubt.

What is your opinion about CTE (I know it can not be diagnosed in no known way.) I know PCS symptoms could go away over time, but with CTE is not so.

Hope you can advise.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 14 hours later

I share your concern and suffering.

In the first instance, let us try to sort the cause of your symptoms rather than giving a label like post-concussion syndrome or chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), etc. Unfortunately there is no specific treatment directed against these conditions. In current situation, we cannot label it as CTE. History of head hitting by hand one year is not significant enough to label it CTE. Thus feel reassured.

Your symptoms are result of repeated hit over head with hand. This has made skin and superficial tissues over the head oversensitive. This coupled with anxiety and frustration has made situation worst. I suggest you to follow these guidelines

1. Feel reassured that nothing big is wrong in brain.
2. Continue to engage yourself in the job, family and leisure activities.
3. Consult your doctor for possibility of neuropsychological evaluation and for psychotherapy and drugs as needed.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Dr. Pratap