Have pinworms. Can fluvermal be taken safely during pregnancy?

I am 5 weeks pregnant and suspect i have pinworms.I have had it before and recognise the symptoms. Can I take fluvermal safely?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 50 minutes later
If you are pregnant , during the first third of the pregnancy (first trimester) you should not take medicines which kill worms. However, hygiene measures alone may work. The worms die after about six weeks. Provided that you do not swallow any new eggs, then no new worms will grow to replace them. So, if you continue the hygiene measures described below for six weeks, this should break the cycle of re-infection, and clear your gut of threadworms.

If treatment with medication is considered necessary in the second or third trimester of pregnancy, then your doctor may advise mebendazole. However, strictly speaking, mebendazole is not licensed to be used during pregnancy.

Hygeine measures
1....Wear close-fitting underpants or knickers in bed, and change every morning. This is so that if you scratch in your sleep, you will not touch the skin near the anus. (Also, consider wearing cotton gloves at night, as this may also help to prevent night-time scratching with fingernails.)
2....Every morning have a bath, or wash around the anus, to get rid of any eggs laid overnight. You must do this straight away after getting up from bed.
Ideally, change and wash nightwear each day.

3....Wash hands and scrub under the nails first thing in the morning, after using the toilet or changing nappies, and before eating or preparing food.
Try not to bite your nails or suck fingers, and discourage children from doing so.
If possible, avoid sharing towels or flannels.
4.....Keep toothbrushes in a closed cupboard. Rinse well before use.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck