Have persistent urticaria with a bruise on the arms and legs. Autoimmune disorder or vasculitis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had urticaria for 6 weeks which only resolved with the use of prednisone (oral). The rash comes and goes on my upper legs and my arms and is accompanied by small bruises on my legs, I am concerned because I have always had asthma and under active thyroid but with the rash I have has an increase in joint pain and am concerend i may have an autoimmune disease or vascultiis
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
The persistent urticaria with a bruise on the arms and legs can be related to an autoimmune disorder or vasculitis. Such disorders are commonly associated with generalized joint pains.
For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum XXXXXXX
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
You need to consult a dermatologist for a direct examination as it is an integral part of diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.