Have perfect vision with squint eye. What treatment should be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
sir ,i am 26 yrs old male.I am having problem with my eyes.My vision is perfect but i am squint with my left eye ,what can be possible treatment for it ,please suggest me?
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
It seems that you are suffering from unilateral strabismus ( medical term for squint).

Most adults with squints have had the condition since childhood. However, strabismus can also begin in adulthood due to medical problems, such as:
- Diabetes;
- Thyroid disease
- Head trauma / tumor
- Strokes etc
Assuming you have childhood unilateral squint and considering your vision is normal ( without glasses ) following are the treatment options
1.Eye muscle exercises. Muscle exercises can be helpful in treating a form of squints in adults in which the eyes cannot align themselves for close work or reading. This condition is called convergence insufficiency.However, eye muscle exercises are rarely useful in other cases of squints in adults. The degree or severity of your squint needs to assessed by your ophthalmologist to find out if you can benefit from orthoptic exercises.
2.Prism eye glasses. Eye glasses with prisms can correct mild double vision associated with squints in adults. The prisms can be worn on the outside of the eye glass frames or can be manufactured directly into the lens itself.
Prism eye glasses usually cannot correct more severe cases of double vision where images are far apart or double vision caused by weak or tight muscles.

3.Eye muscle surgery. Eye muscle surgery is the most common treatment for squints. Typically, squints occur when the muscles surrounding the eyes are either too stiff or too weak. Eye Doctors or squint specialist can surgically loosen, tighten or reposition selected eye muscles so that the eyes can be rebalanced to work together.
Surgery can:
- Improve eye alignment
- Improve or restore the use of both eyes together (binocular visual function)
- Reduce eye fatigue
- Expand peripheral (side) vision
Squint surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis using general or local anesthesia.You can often return to your normal activities within a few days.

So first and foremost you need to consult your ophthalmologist and get your eyes evaluated. Depending on the nature and severity of squint the doctor may advise the above mentioned treatments .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries